Bloggers and work at home moms, do you have some extra minutes here and there for inspiring popular TED talks? I know you have a lot on your plate. But sometimes you need some extra encouragement, right? Carve out 10 minutes and check out one of these 15 popular TED talks for inspiration, knowledge, and motivation.
Here we go. 15 TED Talks that are worth your time.
Ready for some serious goal-crushing? Join the productivity challenge!
The Best 15 Popular TED Talks for Mom Bloggers … and Everybody Else
- The 8 Secrets of Success in under four minutes. Right, we are always short on time. Got 4 minutes waiting for the kids or something? Learn about the not so secret secrets of success that analyst Richard St. John shares in the quick slideshow “The 8 Secrets of Success“.
- A little more on success in under seven minutes. Bill Gross investigated hundreds of successful start-ups and companies and found the surprising “Single biggest reason why startups succeed.” Curious? (Hint: It’s neither a perfect business plan nor big funding.)
- Step up to the game after mommy break. If you are anything like me you have had a career before. I was working in a research lab for years when I found myself ready for a dramatic change, became a freelance writer and almost completely lost track when being pregnant and then a busy mom. Co-Founder of iRelaunch Carol Cohen explains “How to get back to work after a career break” Obviously, even a five-year-career-break is not so uncommon! Cool!
- 100 days of rejection. It’s a bold move to put yourself out there. You will have to deal with rejection and this can be hard. Blogger Jia Jiang tried to desensitize himself with an unusual plan of action. Check out the lessons Jia Jiang learned from 100 days of asking impertinently unfeasible things – that sometimes turned out to be not so unfeasible! “What I learned from 100 days of rejection“.
- Are you stripping on social media? Unfortunately, we all seem to do by just clicking “like”. Take a peek behind the scenes of Facebook and co. with computer scientist Jennifer Golbeck. You will never look at social media the same again. “Why social media likes say more than you might think“.
- You are vulnerable. Even more when you decide to be public and put your story in front of thousands of people. But that’s ok as we all are vulnerable and there is a power to that according to researcher Brené Brow. Listen to her talk “The power of vulnerability” and embrace your being human courageously. (And are all academics insecure? I thought that was only me…)
- Motivation is key. If you are a mom blogger you need to keep motivated to move on. But how do you do that without a boss, a contract, etc.? Figure out how motivation works and keep going all the long distance listening to career analyst Dan Pink about “The puzzle of motivation“. P.S. Would you have solved the candle problem? (I fear that I would still be in that room with that candle…)
- Procrastination trap. You will most probably get caught up sometimes pinning like crazy, binge watching youtube (or TED talks), going through social media feeds, “researching” for a post or phoning your mom. Did that ever happen to you?!? What exactly is it that you procrastinate on? Listen to blogger Tim Urban when he illuminates the insides of the procrastination mastermind. “Inside the mind of a master procrastinator.“
- Talk so that people listen. Ever thought about giving a talk or attending a conference? Or that your communication skills as a parent could be improved? Jazz up the way you talk with sound consultant Julian Treasure and his guide “How to speak so that people want to listen.” Avoid the seven deadly sins of speaking and use all that you have got.
- Unsubscription Journey. Don’t annoy people with SPAM. Have a few minutes for entertainment? Listen to comedian James Veitch getting haunted by a supermarket newsletter. Eight minutes about “The agony of trying to unsubscribe“
- Deal with haters. Bloggers have to deal with haters. Not always funny, except when Iranian-American comedian Negin Farsad approaches this topic in her eight-minute talk “A highly scientific taxonomy of haters“.(Hint: Take haters with a sense of humor.)
- Get more creative and learn from successful thinkers. As a blogger, you have to get creative all the time and at best be original consistently. Learn about the “The surprising habits of original thinkers” revealed by psychologist Adam Grant. (psst… procrastination can spark creativity. hey hey… and it’s not just about how to submit a thesis in 12 hours if you haven’t even started)
- Lessons from life and writing. Author Anne Lamott shares her most valuable lessons she gained from living 60+ years and her writing career. “12 truths I learned from life and writing.” I love #4 and #6. And #2 so true!
- Plan waaaay ahead. Do you plan your day? Great! What about your week? Awesome! Do you have a plan for the entire year? Way to go! But what about your plans for when your grandchildren are adults? Say what? Learn “3 ways to plan for the (very) long term” by futurist Ari Wallach. He calls us to stop short-termism and make a better future for generations to come. Also a great talk for parents! (If you want to get more organized the easy way afterwards, check out the epic guide on clever Evernote uses for Moms.)
- Embrace failure. You will inevitably fail eventually. That’s great! You have a wonderful lesson and should be celebrating! Learn about “The Unexpected benefits of celebrating failure” revealed by inventor Astro Teller and become a more enthusiastic skeptic to reveal your ideas potentials.
That’s it. The list of 15 popular TED talks for mompreneurs, bloggers, and everybody else. Did I miss a great talk? Then please let me know so I can learn more.
Join the productivity challenge and get instant access to the freebie library with subscriber exclusive content!